Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Frost

Finally the end of Tuesday! And it's FREEZING [at least for Texas] Yesterday was a GORGEOUS Monday, few clouds, bright sun, warm breeze! Today COLD! Strong wind, FREEZE warning and this morning in 20 minutes the temperature dropped 20 degrees! Holy Cow! Texas why are you so bi-polar?! Luckily living in the city part of town we don't get that huge drop so fast "luckily," it's still cold! I came home from work to find on my door the apartment complex gave us guidelines to Freeze Warning Safety. Thankfully I don't have to work tomorrow or go to school so I don't have to be on the road with the crazy drivers around here who have never drove in weather conditions such as these. But I hope if it does snow, it snows Thursday so I can have three days in a row off, that'd be cool!

Well let's start tune to a different note though, class time and I've got new recipes & photos. We finished the L'Operas today to be boxed up and sold, assembled the Classic Genoise & did our 4th plated dessert! I liked this one and it tasted great too! We also got to temper white chocolate for the L'Opera which was really cool since white chocolate is my FAVORITE! And I got to take a slice home - YUM! Just ate half of it actually. As for actually baking today it went well I assembled the Classic Genoise and the smaller ones that were to be used as the platings. The only thing that really went wrong with what I did was they weren't frozen by the time it came to plate, so make sure you let them freeze LONGER than an hour, aim more for 2! The reason behind our delay was how long it took for the Raspberry Mousseline to be made. The clear caramel sauce was a rough patch too but it was saved and in the end it was sooo good! It had an orange and lime zest added to it, much better than just a caramel sauce. And lastly we made a Cheesecake, which I have never done and I didn't make it today but I got to see how it's made, quite interesting. And now, here are your recipes.

Raspberry Mousseline:
Raspberry puree 1 1/2 lb
Granulated sugar 9 oz
Water 3 fl oz
Egg whites 5
Sheet gelatin 15 grams
Heavy cream 1 pt (soft peaks)

To fill the Classic Genoise you make a Raspberry Mousseline & the simple syrup flavored with half a lime juice. To assemble the cake you need 3 layers of cake and 2 THICK layers of Mousseline, Cake, simple syrup, mousseline (repeat) the top layer of cake does NOT have anything on top of it. Assemble in a ring if you have one.
To make the plated dessert use a flex pan mold fill with the Mousseline add and cover a small ring of the classic genoise cake. Freeze for two hours then plate with Clear Caramel Sauce

Clear Caramel Sauce:
Granulated sugar 8 oz
Corn syrup 1.5 fl oz
Water 9.5 fl oz
Orange juice 1 fl oz
Vanilla Bean 1/2 tsp
Orange zest 1-2
Lime zest 1-2

Cheesecake (*Variations)
Crust:
Graham crackers, crushed 8 oz
Butter, melted 3 oz
Batter:
Cream cheese, room temp 1.5 lb 3 oz
Granulated sugar 7 oz
Eggs 4
Corn starch 1 oz
Vanilla extract 1/2 tsp
Flavor
Heavy cream 7 fl oz

Other than school, just work and that was super easy got off TWO HOURS early! That was wonderful! Took a coworker home so he didn't have to walk 4 miles in the cold weather! Then started my homework, just need to finish one journal and I'm done for the night. I will just have 3 to do tomorrow before Movie Night takes off (7PM, plenty of time). Now I realize I haven't left a good quote in a while so I've got one for y'all now.

Enjoy! & Bon Appetit


The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it. ~Patrick Young

I was just thinking, if it is really religion with these nudist colonies, they sure must turn atheists in the wintertime. ~Will Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment